RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a1995 Winnebago Vectra with an Onan Marquis 7000

Customer Question
generator. The engine runs fine...
I have a1995 Winnebago Vectra with an Onan Marquis 7000 generator. The engine runs fine, but it stopped generating electricity (possibly after a power surge during a storm). How do I troubleshoot?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
11/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you checked the breaker on the generator? DO you have to plug a cord into an outlet to allow the AC power into the RV OR is it automatic, you start the generator and have power available?

Robert

It is automatic
No. I would rather have things in writing, that way I can refer back to them.

OK

Have you checked the breaker on the generator???? That would be the first step, most all generators will have one or two breakers next to the start switch on the generator.

IF that is not the issue then the you could have a problem with the ATS which is the Automatic Transfer Switch, it detects the incoming power source and switches between dhore and generator power. When they fail you can loose all the AC power for one source, it can happen on generator or shore power. To test you would want to see AC voltage in and then going out of the transfer switch, if you have AC voltage going in and nothing coming out then it has failed Click HERE for a wiring diagram the first page shows the transfer switch. The power cord and generator cord will go right to it. I would however check the breaker on the generator first....

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page.....

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert