RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

2000 6.8 in f53 class a motor home check engine light comes

on codes are running lean...
2000 6.8 in f53 class a motor home check engine light comes on codes are running lean both banks
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on and engine losses power
JA: What is the model of your '00 Ford?
Customer: f53
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix it myself have not done anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I changed the oxygen sensors that did not help the engine will die to idle after it sets a few minetes it will run againe
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Ron, RV Mechanic

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What are the fault codes your getting, are they P0171 and P0174?

have you checked your fuel pressure while the problem is occurring?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
have not checked fuel pressure

Lean on both banks on this engine (P0171 and P0174) usually means you are loosing fuel pressure if you are also loosing power and in most cases if you have a clear fuel filter this is usually caused by a failing fuel pump. In order to verify if in fact that is the case you need to install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and read the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Fuel pressure should indicate a reading of 30-33 PSI at idle. When accelerating under load , the fuel pressure should increase to 40 PSI if the engine vacuum drops to 0. If fuel pressure drops when the vehicle is accelerated, the pump is not keeping up with enough volume to satisfy the system. Meaning your fuel pump is failing. The drop in pressure cause the leans codes to set as well.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, RV Mechanic
Ron, RV Mechanic