RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We have rented a 2016 Coachman Pursuit 27kb. There are two

12-volt DC sockets (cigarette lighter...
We have rented a 2016 Coachman Pursuit 27kb. There are two 12-volt DC sockets (cigarette lighter sockets) on the dashboard that currently are running only when the generator is running. How can we get them to run on the battery so we can charge our phones while driving? Is there a switch somewhere we missed?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes, we checked and the fuses are fine. Everything works fine as long as the generator is on. But not when the vehicle is running with the generator turned off.
JA: Are you fixing your Pursuit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We don't think it's broken, but the user's guide does not have any info about the dashboard systems (except the leveling system)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's good
11/22/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay

I​s it only those two sockets that don't work except when the generator is running or are there other 12 VDC uses in the cabin that are affected the same way? Is the battery disconnect solenoid switch in the "Use" or in the "Store" position?

There should be two of those. One for the house batteries and one for the chassis batteries. Most have a light right next to them showing when the batteries are "in the loop" and supplying power.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No other 12V DC in the RV that I know of. Where will I find the battery soleoid switch?
I'm a total novice -- sorry

These are usually on the wall of the cabinet when you come in the door OR on the overhead above the door. Some are on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash.

Some of these say "Aux Batteries" for the house. When you hit the button you usually hear a distinct "click" from the solenoid when they engage.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I will be away from my computer for just a few minutes. Please get back to me if you need additional support here as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
For when you get back -- there is an "AUX Start" switch with battery icon on it on left side of steering wheel, and we do hear a click when pressed but the sockets don't turn on so solenoid is clicking but not powering the sockets.

That is for hooking both sets of batteries together for additional starting power. Not the correct one for the battery disconnect.

These are usually by some other switches. Rocker style switches.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Sent my phone number to talk

Please get back to me later and let me know where they hid these!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification