RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood 8500 series furnace in my RV. When I turn…

I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood 8500 series furnace in my RV. When I turn it on it sounds like it comes on but then shuts off after a short time, maybe 15 seconds. I though it lit before it shut down but can't be sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Lighting the burner

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 RV?

2012 Crusader 355BHQ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet since I do not know what to look for. I will try myself if something i can do.

11/21/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

like what

That is usually the result of a flame sense failure on the control board. These OEM boards are not good quality and made in China. I only sell an after market board made in Oregon by Dinosaur Electronics. Superior quality. If you give me the make and model of your furnace I can supply a manual and offer more here. If you have an outside inspection cover over the furnace these are easy to access and replace. If not, the furnace has to be removed from the inside. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me with the information above if you need more as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Ok thanks. I will have to go back out to the RV to get the model.

You reported it was an 8500 series, but there are multiple models of those. The control board for most of those in that year are called a "Fan 50 Plus" model and you can Google that for the best price. Amazon has them as do many other RV online dealers.

Thanks

You are most welcome! I can get you a Service Manual later today as soon as I get to my computer. Helpful to have.

Great thanks

10-4.

See the attached link for a copy of the manual. Print this out so you have it. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

the model is Atwood 8535 IV DCLP. The light on the circuit board is flashing 3sec intervals. It does try to light 3 times then shuts down. What should I check?

Is this with the old or new circuit board?

Plenty of LP in the tanks? Pressure checked and adjusted recently?

old board and yes plenty of gas. We just recently put on a full tank.
have not checked the pressure. Don't have a way to do that.

I thought you were getting a new board? If you take the regulator into shop they can adjust it for you, as long as it is an adjustable version.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification