RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Randall: Fist, as background, I have a 2017 Heartland

Hi Randall: Fist, as background, I...
Hi Randall:
Fist, as background, I have a 2017 Heartland Gateway model 3680FB 5th Wheel. It has a full standing refrigerator and Two AC units. We would like to do some off the grid (Boondocking) camping but lack the electrical power without a generator. The generator is a beast to load / unload, so I’m thinking of converting my 12 volt system to either a multiple 6 volt or multiple 12 volt system that can be recharged with solar panels.
Now, my question is this. Do you have any idea how many amps a rig like mine might use per day? I live in Southern CA desert where 95-115 summer temps are not uncommon and AC might be be used a great amount of time.
I know very little about amp hours. Is 450 amp hours a lot ? Could it last a Day, days, etc.?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Joe S
Palmdale, CA
11/21/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

You would not be able to run an A/C unit that long using batteries and solar panels. I live off-grid and know how this works quite well. One A/C on a hot day down there would draw almost 20 amps or 3,600 watts and you would have to have one heck of a battery bank and solar array to keep up. For example, I have almost 2,000 watts of panels and 12 L-16 batteries and I can't run one A/C really, so you might need to rethink this. I think a generator will be needed for some back up power here if you want to do the A/Cs. Let me know if you need more here as all follow ups and exchanges between us are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks for your question. It was a good one!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok, if I skipped the AC units or used my portable generator if I had to use AC, would the battery idea work for everything else. How many Amps per hr should I plan for?

It depends on how many watts of power you need over a 24 hour period. What all are you going to power up here? The fridge is 300 to 500 watts and the water heater on AC mode is about 1,400 watts. Add some for lights and microwave sometimes. As an example, most larger Class A units have four 6 VDC golf cart batteries for the inverter. Those are usually rated about 225 to 230 amp hours each. Adding as many solar panels as you can on the roof would help. You should be able to get at least 1,000 watts up there and the more the better. If you have room for more batteries that would help out too.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you.
Your answers were extremely helpful. I think I’m back to an onboard generator. Pricey initially, but probably the best solution. The wife lives her AC (LOL)

It may be a bit more, but overall a better solution for the A/C issues. Onan makes an LP set and so does Generac and the latter one is much less money. I just bought a new 11K model for about $2,300 and they only use a little over a gallon an hour. Can't do onboard though. Just a thought. You are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification