RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

SIDE STORAGE BOX 2000 MONACO DIPLOMAT LATCH LIFTS BUT LOCK

Customer Question
DOES NOT DISENGAGE. NEW LATCH...
SIDE STORAGE BOX 2000 MONACO DIPLOMAT LATCH LIFTS BUT LOCK DOES NOT DISENGAGE. NEW LATCH. HOW CAN I OPEN THAT BOX?
JA: Are you fixing your Diplomat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: HAMMER AND WEDGE TO LIFT LATCH ASSY BUT NOT HARD ENOUGH TO MOVE IT. HYDRAULIC JACK UNDER DOOR AND AT LATCH ASSY BUT NOT HARD ENOUGH TO CAUSE DAMAGE.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: IT IS NOT LOCKED. IF I HAVE TO I WILL BREAK IT OFF AND BUY A NEW ONE BUT TIME LIMITS SAY TO GET IT OPEN WITHOUT BREAKING IT AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS SO IT WILL WORK.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 39,000. YES I JUST REPLACED 4 OF THESE. RV CAME OUT OF ALASKA AND WASN'T EASY ON MANY OF THE PARTS. THIS IS 1 I REPLACED. THEY SEEM TO JAM WHEN RV IS NOT LEVEL BUT IT IS LEVEL AND I TRIED RAISING THAT SIDE BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: RV
11/20/2017
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Please upload some photos of the latch you are dealing with

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't know howto send pictures. Just forget it, I'll bust it off and replace it. It must be defective anyway.
RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago

If you are replacing the lock you can drill it out first.

RV Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago

Then if drilling it does not work you can go to plan B. Let me know. We can follow up as needed on here

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
SORRY I WASTED YOUR TIME. I'LL FIGURE IT OUT ON MY OWN. I WAS JUST HOPING FOR A TRICK WHERE I WOULDN'T HAVE TO REPLACE IT. ONLY WAY I KNOW IS TO REMOVE THE SCREWS FROM THE HINGE, DISCONNECT THE STRUTS AND LIFT IT OUT WHERE I CAN REMOVE THE SCREWS FROM THE BACK PANEL AND FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
GUESS WHAT, IF YOU LOOK AT IT FROM UNDERNEATH, THERE IS A SMALL SLIT WHERE YOU CAN SEE A U BOLT FASTENED TO THE FRAME WITH 2 7/16 HEX NUTS. YOU LOOSEN THE 2 HEX NUTS AND THE U BOLT IS LOOSE AND WIGGLES. I TRIED THE LATCH AND IT OPENED WITHOUT DAMAGING IT. I IMAGINE IF IT WERE REALLY STUCK YOU COULD BACK THE NUTS WAY OFF AND PULL DOWN ON THE U BOLT TO GET IT OPEN. YOU MAY PASS THAT INFORMATION ALONG TO ANY OTHER CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. ANOTHER HINT, IF IT IS THE LATCH TO THE JOEY BED, YOU MAY CRAWL THROUGH FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE AND REMOVE THE 4 SCREWS FROM THE BACK PLATE OF THE LATCH ASSY.
gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic