RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have 2017 Springdale with an Atwood water heater. The

I have 2017...

I have 2017 Springdale with an Atwood water heater. The electric and gas are not turning on to heat the water

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I’ve been using only electric but when the electric stop working I tried the gas and that to is not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 RV?

Springdale 271

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I looked at connections but have not put a meter to anything yet, I don’t have a meter, not sure where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I can fix it on my own. I’m not close to any of the local mobile repair people and the closest appointment I could get was December 5

11/20/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you access the hot water heater to see if the electrical components like the ignitor and temp sensor are plugged in.Try to unplug and plug them back in as well with the heater switched off and see if this works.Let me know,thanks Pete

Pete, I’m going to step outside and check the connections, be right back

O.k.,let me know if you find anything.

Thanks Pete

Unfortunately the system will not allow me to place the call but I can continue here.They should be contacting you about this.Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Call please(###) ###-####

Unfortunately I am unable to call on this here.I can however continue here via chat.The web site will not allow me to place this call.

I checked connections, all looks good

O.k.,since it will not ignite with gas or electric this can be a fault with the temp sensor sending a false signal to the control unit that the temp is already hot or to hot or an issue with the control unit/control board needing replaced.Unfortunately this new of a model I dont show or have the testing info for this one.

Usually the temp sensor is tested with a multi meter to test its resistance versus temperature but its hard to say for sure on this model here.

Since this is a 2017 Springdale I believe it carries a 2 year warranty.The best thing to do is to allow a dealer or repair center to look at it to locate the fault then repair it under warranty.If you attempt to mess with this yourself and come to no conclusion on the fault and they see you had tampered with it this can void warranty work on the heater system so it is best for a dealer or repair center to look at and repair this under warranty unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Ok, thanks

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician