RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a dometic fridge, and it quit cooling and we are…

Customer Question
We have a dometic...

We have a dometic fridge, and it quit cooling and we are getting the E3 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

It just flashes E3 I believe it stands for cooling unit, how do i reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 Forest River Columbia

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am hoping to repair myself, I have checked all the fuses, there is a connection on the outside panel, that i unplugged and plugged back in, the fridge started running for a few seconds, then shut off again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all i can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
11/20/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On some models there is a push button reset at the back of the fridge that is pressed to reset the unit but in this case it sounds like you have already reset it since it does come back on and it runs a few seconds then stops.It thinks it is over heating.This can be due to a faulty cooling fan for the fridge or electronics ( as some have equipped) or an issue with lack of air flow through the vents or a faulty temp sensor needing replaced.If you are unable to see the issue yourself you would have to have this tested further to locate which component is faulty then repaired from there to resolve it. It does sound like you may have an electrical sensor like a temp sensor fault or fan fault since it shuts down so quickly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

what would be the best way to test the sensors?

I dont show the resistance values for these sensors or voltage signals as most models can be different as well as their locations.But usually they are tested with a multi meter for proper resistance and voltage signals.If you see any cooling fans see if they run once you reset it and if they do I would lean more on this being a temp sensor fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete