RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We lost all coach power. Generator will not try to start.

We lost all coach...

We lost all coach power. Generator will not try to start. Batteries show 11.8 vdc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It completely went dead while we were driving. Chassiis battery and alternator work okay.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 RV?

2013 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher 31M.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will attempt to fix it. I have only checked the power through the overload switches near the batteries. I don't show any open circuits there.I replaced the propane detector several months ago. I am not sure that would cut the 12 vdc power it a wire came loose.

I should have said all 12 volt power to the coach. We are not close to 120 volt source at this time.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have not heard anything. No missed phone calls or texts.
11/19/2017
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry for the long delay I see no other experts have responded.

Inside near your entry door or in the dash area do you have a switch for the battery disconnect? IF so and you hit that switch do you hear a click each time away from the switch?

Robert

Okay

IF you have an interior switch to isolate the power then you have a solenoid that opens and closes when the switch is pressed, sometimes the solenoid can stick and you will get NO 12 volt power. To check the solenoid you would want to see the same voltage on the LARGE posts on the solenoid, power comes from the battery on one side and then when you it the switch it allows power to the other side. IF you have power on one side and not the other you can jump the large posts and see if your power comes on. IF you can not locate it by sound go to the house battery and follow the cables, one cable should go right to the solenoid. IT could be near the batteries OR inside a battery control box outside with fuses and shortstop style breakers. Make sure no breakers are tripped as well, below is a picture of a breaker you will sometimes find in the circuit, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip.

Also might want to recheck the battery voltage as if it is under 10 volts nothing is going to work.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have more questions or concerns.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Breaker.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic