RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We have a 6300 A series converter and we think it got

Hi Pearl. We have...
Hi Pearl. We have a 6300 A series converter and we think it got overloaded. The plug connected to the main power source outside was melted a little. It will not charge the battery and anything else. It's completely dead.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes, we took it to Autozone, and they said it was perfectly good. We also have a battery charger/maintainer
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1995 Winnebago 300 Minnie Winnie
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself. I haven't tried anything other than replacing a breaker and testing the electric incoming power to the converter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also replaced the GFI outlet
11/18/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If you have good 120V going in to the converter, but nothing coming out, the converter is bad.

If your converter is still the old transformer type, you are bests off to change it out with an electronic upgrade kit.

Most of the parts for the transformer type are obsolete.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok how much are they?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
are we still being charged for the call
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what size upgrade do i need
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
which brand and how much do they cost

Sorry, I am having computer trouble. Please give me a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok

What size you need depends on what size yours is. A new one must be at least the same size as your old one. It is ok to go bigger, but never smaller.

6300 is the series. On your unit will be a tag. If you have a 45 amp converter, your model will actually be 6345..

If you have a 55 amp, your model will be 6355, and so on.

Here is a link to a 45 amp upgrade:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/rv-electrical-systems-and-accessories/converter-chargers/rv-converters_55-9679

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay thanks Hank

Not a problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets