RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I just purchased a 2006 jayco and I have 2 outlets inside

Customer Question
that are not working....
I just purchased a 2006 jayco and I have 2 outlets inside that are not working. I only see one GFCI in the kit. I am living inside while we build our new home and really need to see if there is another GFCI that might have tripped
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2006 jayco eagle fifth wheel
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: I have the owners manual and they condition is very good
JA: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All we have done is unplugged the main power off and also tried to reset the breakers
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The outlets that are not working is the one at the rear of RV( ours has a cabinet where the converter is) and the one in the dining area.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 25 days ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was reading some of your answers ...I can only find one GFCI, is there another one? I crawled underneath the trailer and did not see another one, is it maybe in the storage area?

There are usually two GFCI outlets. One in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom area. Each one controls multiple outlets. It sounds like you just need to find the other one. They can kind of hide them. If you don't find it, you can call Jayco Customer Service and give them the last 8 of your VIN number and have them send you some wiring diagrams for this coach. That would show you where it is and which outlets are tied to it. Always possible that you may have a loose or burned connection between some of these in the string and we can test for that with a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. That Jayco number is(###) ###-####

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the one in the kit is like any one where it has the test button. My outlet in Bathroom does not have one of these and neither do any of the other outlets
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Someone at my Husbands work said it might be under the RV??

Never outside, except I have seen them use the fridge outlet for the AC cord have it. Not common. If you don't find that I would contact Jayco and have them e-mail you those wiring diagrams. Very helpful to have for these!

They can even be in a cabinet where they aren't visible.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I received and spoke with the customer care dept at Jayco. Thinking it is loose wiring in Junction box which is showing to be by the dining area. Not inside RV but would it be under the lining of the undercarriage?

No. That would be inside the cabin in a cabinet on the floor area. About 4" square and silver metal box with cover. No othher GFCI on this?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I did find the junction box behind the couch, bought a receptacle tester, and there is no power at all to the outlets. I checked the wires out of junction box and everything looked good but there are wires going into wall that when I pull out a little have what looks like electrical tape around them. I have a green wire, 2 white wires and a tan wire. I cant pull the wires any further out of the hole to look at. I am just at a loss now.

Did Jayco give you any wiring diagrams? The tan wire should have had another connection, but those sound like 12 VDC colors. Green is ground, white is neutral and brown is usually a positive color. You should find a J-box with black, white and bare copper leads.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification