RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My RV is a tiffin allegro bus. We had it in the shop for…

My RV is a...

My RV is a tiffin allegro bus. We had it in the shop for warranty work for 6 weeks. We took it home last month and put it in storage. The batteries for the engine and house batteries are both dead. I called about a jump but they could not get it started. What are your recommendations?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No and No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 Allegro bus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is in garage storage. I called my insurance and they sent someone to jump start it. They could not get it started. Note: 2015 Allegro Bus. I emailed the Tiffin rep for this area and got no response.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Both engine and house batteries are dead.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

I would have the batteries taken out and into a shop or place that sells batteries for load testing. One or more may have gone bad and won't take a charge and that can draw down the rest of them. Be sure and mark the cables and take a photo or two. Easy to get this wrong if you don't. Then don't forget to hit the battery disconnect switch again to put the batteries back into the loop. If you need help for this, I would contact a local mobile tech and have them assist you with this. Most shops and local RV parks know of a good one or two that do good work and are reasonable. I can assist you on this from here as well. I am surprised that Tiffin didn't respond. I have always had good reports here about their Customer Service. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Ok

Did you see my response?

Don't forget to hit the battery disconnect switch once you get these charged up again or they will discharge. If they are approaching 3 years old they may be failing, but load testing can determine this. I like and see Interstate HD batteries in my RV repair shop, but there are other good ones out there.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Phone call session started

C​all me back if you need more later. No time limit on follow ups.