RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My friends RV has a cord that is 4 prong that is hooked up…

Customer Question
Hi, my friends RV...

Hi, my friends RV has a cord that is 4 prong that is hooked up to a 240 volt outlet then from the outlet it is 3 prong into the trailer. the problem is when it is hooked up from a normal 120 volt outlet with adapter it runs fine. When we try to run it from the 50 amp 240 volt outlet the electricity goes crazy in the trailer and nothing works right. I appreciate your help, thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes all the fuses are good, I don't have diagram though.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

I would have to ask him, I don't know. The wiring at the 240 volt outlet is perfect though.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are trying to. Today connecting to 240 volt seems to have fried the electric fireplace, it was smoking. The manual says the trailer is designed for 30 or 50 amp but it is not specific.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure, the stock trailer cord hookup says 50 amp 120/240 on it. Not sure why when we plug into recommended power source that everything is not functioning properly

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
11/17/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Not sure what the "3 prong into the trailer" is here? Did someone put a 50 amp 240 VAC plug on a 30 amp 120 VAC cord? That what is sounds like. A 50 amp cord has 4 leads. 2 positive leads of 120 VAC each, one ground and one neutral. A 30 amp cord has only 3 leads and those are one each 120 VAC positive lead, one neutral lead and one ground. If this coach has a 50 amp service it will have two main disconnects on the panel.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!