RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1997 Motorhome built on a f53 ford chasse. the

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Motorhome built on a f53 ford chasse. the shift indicator cable is broken. I have tried to order a new one but the cable is to short. the one out of my motorhome has a cable tube length of about 16 inches.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is not the trans. that is the problem it is the shift indicator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

F53

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have removed the broken shift indicator and tried to order a new one but the cable is to short.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Just to make sure I understand this cable is the thin flexible wire from the shifter handle per say to the instrument cluster to show which gear you are in, correct?

correct.
the plastic cable tube is also broken.

This is going to be SUPER hard to find on a 20 year old vehicle. You may end up having to make a new one homemade.

Yes, after looking over 4 Ford parts suppliers it is discontinued. Are you up for a DIY repair?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

It is the hard plastic tube that runs from the gear indicator to the transmission shifter. and the thin flexible wire.

I know exactly what the part is. It is no longer available for purchase, though I can assist you maybe build one.

What do I do to repair the Plastic tube? I think I can make a new wire from 50# ***** fishing line.
The tube is broke where the adjustment wheel is at.

Can you send me a picture since the part being discontinued does not even allow me to see a picture. I can see the Ford truck one but it is different than yours.