RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Are you familiar with the Onan QD8000? It's on a 2008

Customer Question
Are you familiar with...

Are you familiar with the Onan QD8000? It's on a 2008 Winnebago/Itasca IKR40WD.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

^^^^

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 RV?

^^^

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Problem started when alternator on RV went out. Generator shut down on low battery. Alternator and belt replaced. Gen would start manually, then shut down after a few seconds with code 14 (Bad Breaker). On Command controller gen showed it was still running but wasn't. Replaced breaker. no difference. Spoke with Onan and they said Command 30 module was bad. Replaced. Now doesn't show running but still won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

3-years, battery isn't problem, charges fine and shows 13.9V

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Onan/Cummins Generator
S/N: K070123343
Model: 8HDKAK-1046K
120V, 66.7A, 8 KVA, 8 KW, 3200 RPM
Options: R086-2, B402-1, A223-1, K020-1, P090-1, SPEC-KOnan Energy Command 30
Generator Breaker
Onan: 0320-1875-04
35A 2-Pole (Made by Airpax)
There are 3-ways to manually start the generator. (1) on the generator head itself, (2) on the drivers console, and (3) on the Onan Energy Command 30 controller.
The generator will not start via any of the 3 manual modes or automatically via the Onan Energy Command 30 controller even if it is programmed to start. Have tried this wioth the RV motor off, unplugged from shore power, and any combination of these.
Just so you know, this all started when the alternator went out and the batteries discharged. All of this has been fixed but Generator is still acting up.
11/16/2017
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

At the rear left corner of the genset, unplug the 8-pin connector located on the outside of the enclosure.

See if the genset will now start from the switch on the genset.

Will it?

Sorry, I have been out of town for several days and will be through 11/26/2017. I will look when I get back, but I do not remember any connectors on the rear at all. There is a 10-wire plug on the front left (as you face the front of the gen). I have tried unplugging this before and the gen still will not start from the switch on the gen (in the front right corner on the top). Before I changed out the Onan Energy Command 30 controller, if the 10-wire plug was connected, the hour meter on the gen itself and the hour meter inside the coach at the monitor panel, as well as the hour meter on the Onan Energy Command 30 controller were all accumulating hours even though the gen wasn't running. The Onan Energy Command 30 controller said the gen was running in manual mode and nothing I could do on the controller changed anything. This is why I changed the Onan Energy Command 30 controller out. With the new Onan Energy Command 30 controller, no hours are accumulating on any of the hour meters and the controller doesn't show the gen is running. I've read that unplugging the 10-wire pigtail on the gen that feeds the gen start switch on the drivers console and the monitor panel, then jumping a particular wire at the pigtail, tells the gen that there is no remote installed, therefore allowing the gen to start with the switch at the gen itself. I haven't done this because I can't identify exactly what wire needs to be jumped. I do have a wire toner/tracer and was going to unplug the pigtail and trace each wire to see what went where but haven't had time to do this. It's confusing on Itasca/Winnebago wiring because all of the wires are either yellow or white, and aren't labeled. I've attached the wiring diagram from the Onan Energy Command 30 controller for reference.

I take it your genset is mounted in the front of your coach?

The 10-pin plug is the remote connector, and is actually mounted at the rear left of the genset. The black cover you see is actually the left end of the genset, not the front. The unit is turned 90 degrees when installed in the front of the coach. The front of the unit faces the drivers side wheel.

There are no pins to jump to tell the genset the remote is not connected. The genset should run just fine as a stand alone unit.

The code 14 you are getting does not mean bad breaker. Code 14 is Over Frequency. It means that the engine is running too fast.

With the remote disconnected, what happens when you try to start the genset?

Does it not even crank?

Does it crank but not start?

Does it start but shut down immediately?

Does it start and run but shut down as soon as you let off the start switch?

Please be as specific as possible, as I can't see or hear what is happening.

I went into the Cummins/Onan dealer/service center in Joplin, MO back on 7/23/2017 when this first happened and gave them the code (14) alond with the specific model number of this gen and when they looked this up, the breaker is what they told me that code meant so I have been working from that.So, if 14 isn't the breaker, I have a new breaker installed anyway.Doesn't matter if the connector is connected or not, I get the same, absolutely nothing.No pre-heat, no lights, no sounds, no starting, nothing.Like I said before, before I changed the Onan Energy Command 30 controller, if the 10-wire plug was connected, the hour meter on the gen itself and the hour meter inside the coach at the monitor panel, as well as the hour meter on the Onan Energy Command 30 controller were all accumulating hours even though the gen wasn't running.With the new Onan Energy Command 30 controller, no hours are accumulating on any of the hour meters and the controller doesn't show the gen is running.Before the alternator on the coach went out, I was driving down the road with the Gen running. The RV showed low battery then shout down on high temp. The Gen died then too.Before changing the alternator on the coach, the gen would pre-heat, start, and run a few seconds, and shut down with code 14.I tried the gen twice after the alternator was replaced and batteries charged, the gen would pre-heat, start, and run a few seconds, and shut down with code 14.The third time I tried to start the gen, I had the same result as I have now, nothing. No pre-heat, no lights, no sounds, no starting, nothing.It acts as if there's a fuse or breaker blown but I only see two fused on the gen and they're both good.I have checked and confirmed that there is 12VDC power to the gen for it to start.
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 6 months ago

There are 3 fuses on this unit. All 3 fuses are located behind the small panel above the start switch.

Remove that panel, and check the fuses.

Let me know what you find.

I only see 2, they are next to the filler nozzle for the coolant.The 2 I see are good.
If you have a schematic, I'd like to see it since I only see the 2. I have the entire black cover removed exposing the coil. Not just the switch/breaker cover, the entire black side cap.

There are 3 fuses in there. You may need to dig around a little to find the 3rd.

They are marked F1, F2 and F3.

I'll go out and check it again. Do you have a schematic?

I have uploaded a copy of the schematic.

Click here to download it.

I found the 3rd fuse, the 25A. It was good as well as the other two 15A fuses. All 3 fuses show 13.69 volts on both sides of the fuse.

OK.

At the starter solenoid, locate the small wire labeled K1-S A1-J6. Test it for 12V while pressing the start button.

Does this wire have 12V?

I couldn't find a wire labeled K1-S A1-J6 but did find one labeled A1-J6 K1. That wire comes from one of the 15A fuses we checked earlier that does have 12VDC on it.
That wire is the wire that activates the starter. If it has 12V but the starter is not engaging, the starter is bad.
The starter isn't bad. As I said, the lighted start switch doesn't even light up. The pre-heat/glowplug doesn't do anything. Since there is no light, and the pre-heat cycle isn't starting or completing, the starter is never called on to engage.To start the gen you have to press and hold down the preheat/starter switch in this top/upper position until the glowplug turns off and then the gen starts. You press the switch and do not let off until the gen starter engages, which is after the pre-heat/glowplug portion of the startup procedure is satisfied. If it's hot outside, this is very quick. If it's cold, it takes a few seconds since the glowplug has to heat the block until the sensor is satisfied.
Update - The A1-J6 K1 does NOT have 12VDC on it whether the switch is engaged or not.

I have been an Onan technician for over 15 years - I am well familiar with how this unit operates.

If you are not getting prime or preheat at all, and you have good power to all 3 fuses, the control board is bad, or the wiring harness has become loose.

I wasn't trying to belittle you in any way, and I don't appreciate your insinuation of such.
I was simply trying describe exactly what was happening since as you said, “Please be as specific as possible, as I can't see or hear what is happening.”.
I would find it hard to understand the how the wiring harness would be the issue since this only started with a discharged battery bank.
I could see the control board going bad with the various voltage fluctuations that happened.
Do you have any tests to confirm this?

I wasn't insinuating that you were trying to belittle me - I apologize if it came across that way.

What I was trying to convey was that as a certified tech, I know how the unit is SUPPOSED to operate, but what I can't see or hear is what is ACTUALLY going on - that is where I need the specifics.

So many times I get he complaint of "it won't start". After an hour or 2 of trying to diagnose a non-start issue, it finally comes out that the unit will actually start - it just won't stay running when they let off the start switch.

That is the kind of detail I need to know.

It is very doubtful that the wiring harness has come loose from the controller, but I have seen some very strange things happen. I won't just say to replace the controller, then you find out that it is just a loose wire as you are trying to change the controller.

Check the wiring harness just to be sure - then if it is good, the controller is bad.

There is no direct test of the controller. If it has power getting to it, but it is not working, it is bad.

Was this what you wanted to know?

I'm traveling through today but I'll have a better answer for you in the morning.
Ok.
I think the last thing I need to know is what controller/part number are you referring to?I'm sure I can get one from Onan but it would help to know the part number.Thanks

There is only 1 controller on this unit.

It is part number(###) ###-####01.

Oh, OK, I knew about the inverter but thought you were talking about a different controller. FYI, Onan has revised/improved this inverter and has a new part number of:(###) ###-####02.

Yes, the part number has been superseded. They would automatically tell you that when you give them the old part number. just wasn't able to look it up at the time.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Was this what you wanted to know?