RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a new battery because my mechnic son in law said my…

Customer Question
I bought a new...

I bought a new battery because my mechnic son in law said my old one was hooked up backwards. However, there are only two wires the hot black and the ground white. the white goes directly to frame. Now batter wont charge even though plugged into land power. I think I'm missing a wire for the negitive side of the battery? so the circuit is complete. Does that sound right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Bought used and dont have a wiring diagram. is there a way to get one?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Outback sydney edition 2006 30r

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. just started but have replaced the fuses in the box inside the camper. need to trace the lines at the battery but without a diagram not sure if that will help right now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just I'm a biginner but willing to try just about anything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
11/14/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Do you have or can you come up with a small digital multimeter for some testing? That would allow us to check it and see what the problem is.

The white negative lead should go from the battery negative terminal to the frame. The red goes to a fuse or shortstop breaker between that positive terminal and the converter and fuse block inside.