RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The hot water heater will not fire up. The red light comes…

Customer Question
The hot water heater...

The hot water heater will not fire up. The red light comes on when the switch if hit but no fire. Worked great this morning. If I manually light the heater when it tries to ignite I get a brief fire but then it goes out.'

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The light in the RV for the Hot Water switch. It normally turns red briefly until the heater fires up then goes out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 Airstream Sport 22 FB

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I am on the road in a campground so I have not made it to a shop yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It looks like we have propane and a good connection from the remote switch

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO it sounds like you are getting spark but it is not wanting to stay lit on LP, this could be a problem with the circuit board, electrode or LP gas problem.

Make sure the electrode is about 3/16" over the burner tube, I might also get an air nozzle and blow out the burner tube really good to make sure nothing is inside of it. Sometimes bugs and debris can get in there. You might want to also pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, beyond that I would have the circuit board tested, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is the problem. If the board checks out good and assuming you have good LP pressure I might replace the electrode or what sparks.

Might want to also try and shut the main LP tank valve and SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if the main valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure. Also make sure you have good DC battery voltage, if the voltage was below 10.5 volts the unit may not work properly. Finally you can remove the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes that is a weak spot.

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...
Robert

Hi,,, Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert