RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have 2 year old coachman rv. The siding has two puncture…

Customer Question
We have 2 year...

We have 2 year old coachman rv. The siding has two puncture holes in it. We have seen less siding and would like to know what should we expect when we take it somewhere for repair. Can we expect the entire piece of siding to be replaced or will the repair be a seemed piece?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Catalina RETS

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We will take it in for repair but we want to know what to expect. I would like to replace the full piece since it is seemless. This is our first Rv and we want to be realistic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just want to know the correct way to make the repair

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

How large are the holes? Most can be pretty easily repaired.

I am on my way home so I will be offline for a bit.

3/4 inch long quarter inch in diameter

Those should be pretty easy to repair. Do you have any idea what may have caused them? If you are somewhat handy with tools I can explain how you can do this yourself. Not hard or expensive. If you can attach a photo of them to your post that would be very helpful. Use the paperclip icon for that.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get a photo of the holes that need repair?

We do not want to make the repair. If we bring it to dealer is it reasonable for us to expect them to replace the full piece of siding?

No. That is not feasible. They will patch these with fiberglass and sand them smooth and then paint them to match. I do this sort of repair in my shop all the time. Or you can have a body shop do them for you. Some RV shops may not choose to do them. I am guessing this should be less than $300 for repairs.

I should mention that would be in my shop. I suspect a body shop may charge more.

Just checking back in to see what the dealer quoted you on this?

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification