RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2017 Winnebago Paseo and the generator will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 Winnebago Paseo and the generator will not start. When I try to start it it fires and runs for a second and then shuts off. I have tried holding the start button but that does no good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery is very strong at full charge and the starter turns the generator motor very well. I don't think it is the electrical power because it starts and then stops.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Paseo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything other than trying to start it about 10 times over an hours time. I would rather fix it myself rather than taking it to a dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Another question. If I keep the interior heated with an portable electric heater to 45 degrees, do I need to winterize it?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
11/12/2017
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial numbers of the genset?

What type of fuel is it running on?

It is a Cummins Onan RV QG2800 (HGJBB) spec A. It runs on chassis gasoline. It was started on delivery in March 2017 and then twice since then. It has 3.9 hrs on it.

Lets see what fault code is set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Did you get the fault code yet?

Due to weather I just now got to check the fault code. It is either 3 or 33.

Since there is no code 33 on this unit, we will go with a code 3.

As per my previous instructions, a code 3 is a primary fault code, and I need to know what the secondary code is.

Your answer did me no good. All it was was a quote from the Cummings manual which I read. Cummings has pulled the generator and found that the choke in the carb was frozen and want $2000+ to replace the carb. I personally think a little WD40 would have freed it. Although it is less than 1 year old Cummings and Winnebago say it is not covered by warrant with no explanation.
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 7 months ago

I was not able to provide you an answer. I needed more information, which you never gave me.

We are not magicians or mind readers - we can not see or hear what is going on, and we need input from the customer to help diagnose the problem.

I told you I needed to know what the secondary code was, and you didn't give it to me.

And if you had actually read the manual, you would have known that there is no code 33 - it clearly states that in the manual.

Carbs are not normally covered by warranty, as neglect is what most often makes them go bad.

The choke was most likely stuck due ot varnish, and varnish is not covered - and WD-40 will not touch varnish.

I looked down the bore of the carb and there is no varnish. There was light exfoliation that I could wipe off with my finger - nothing that would solidly freeze the choke. The choke appears to be frozen due to corrosion on the outside (there is a lot of corrosion on the outside of the carb and on the whole generator). I have never operated this vehicle in a corrosive environment (not on salted roads or on a beach). It probably was on salted roads by Winnebago during delivery from the midwest to Seattle. The generator was started 3 times, at delivery by the dealer and twice by me at about 2 month intervals. The choke is in about a 1/2 open position. The only fault code I could get was 3 which repeated.

Ok.