RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2009 Winnebago tour TD. This is the 4th time that I…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Winnebago tour TD. This is the 4th time that I am going to have to replace a compressor in my AC unit. The last time was 3 yrs ago and they completely rebuilt the unit. I am thinking of having some one remove the unit and replace it with roof top units.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

The local dealer stated that the compressor was no good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 RV?

40 TD. Its one of those basement units with a heat pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I took it to a RV repair facility. I live in upstate New York

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
11/11/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok,

Y​ou might want to get another opinion on that. I rarely have heard of even one going bad, much less more than that. I suspect that he either doesn't know any better or someone working on this didn't do it correctly before. In any event, these are pretty much NLA for the most part. You might want to consider a rooftop unit, but I would want to know for sure that the existing unit was bad.

There has to be a reason why this is the 3rd time that it has gone bad. The last dealer was ***** *****s in Charlotte NC.
They rebuilt the whole unit because Colman no longer makes the unit

I know they are NLA, but even so, these are very reliable. I have rarely heard of anyone doing this more than once. And I suspect it wasn't cheap either. Maybe look into getting a good used one from someone like Colaw or Arizona RV Salvage. Or a new rooftop unit is about $800 give or take depending on the make and model.

I would assume that I would need two units to cool the unit. It would probably be better to go back to the factory to have it fixed. Would you have a ballpark price for the repairs?

On the existing unit? It would depend on what is actually wrong with it. What is it doing that they thought the compressor was bad?

When you turn on the generator and want to use the electronic heater, the generator. Goes up and down well over the 50 amp capacity. It has gone as high as 80 amps. It also doesn't cool the coach below 72 degrees.

That is pretty much a bad sign. Maybe time to go to roof top units. And yes, I suspect you would need two of them.

Randall:. With this many times having it repaired, I don't have a lot of confidence that a used on will work for a long time. Do you have a ballpark idea what replacing 2 roof top units would cost including installations and repairs?

I would go with two low profile units. Depending on where they are purchased and who does the work I would plan on about $2,500 or so..........maybe less.

Check AdventureRV.net for some good prices. Or perhaps another larger online dealer. These come up on sale from time if you can wait.

Some of this is dependent on if there is wiring already up there for those units. That would keep the cost down.

As you can see there are quite a few choices.

Just checking back in to see if you made any decision on how to approach this yet?