RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am trying to drain the water heater in order to winterize…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to drain the water heater in order to winterize it. I see a plug that has a small lever on the end that I pulled up and a little water came out. I do not see a plug to unscrew. I also do not see any by pass valves anywhere. We have a Cruiser RV Viewfinder Signature. Am I looking for a nut to unscrew.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaking that I've seen

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 We bought it off a private individual that didn't use it enough to know much about it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have drain all the tanks, I have drained the small hot and cold valves under the trailer and I found another small line that I just now drained . I am not sure where it is coming from. I have drained everything I could find. I just now opened that small valve at the water heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
11/10/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

I​f this is an Atwood water heater, the plug is white plastic on the lower left hand corner kind of behind the gas valve. On a Suburban water heater it is on the bottom middle and part of the anode rod. That takes and 1 and 1/8" inch socket. Turn the water heater off and allow it to cool and then flip up the lever on the relief valve so the pressure is reduced, otherwise you will get soaked when you remove the plug. Hope that helps. If you get back to me with the make and model of your unit I can get you a copy of the Service Manual. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!