RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a used Coachmen Wyoming Fifth Wheel 335, I think. I…

I bought a used...

I bought a used Coachmen Wyoming Fifth Wheel 335, I think. I am having bad electrical problems. I can't have more than 3 electrical things on at a time. Then the beeper goes off, the lights dim, and the refridge turns off. What is happening? Plus, I have already had to buy a new water pump, marine battery, LED light bulbs and new water heater. Please help me. I want to live in my home year round.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

No, by the way, it is a 2009 model. Supposedly it was serviced right before I picked it up back in September 2016.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 RV?

It is a fifth wheel. Model # I cannot find.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing fuses, new battery, which I should not need because I am hooked up to electricity. Trying to find info in owners manual and there is NONE.

10/22/2017
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thanks

Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord OR are you plugged in directly with NO cords or adapters?

Robert

extension cord on the main electrical box

OK...... Are you plugged into a standard household outlet? OR are you using a 30 or 50 amp service?

Robert

I'm pretty sure my son put an adaptor on

OK

IF you go look to where it is plugged in does it look like a standard household outlet? I will explain.....

Ok. Hold on.
50 amp

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.

Ok
Are you still there?

OK... So that is good if it is a 50 amp service everything should be working. The system is split AC power and DC power, so right now all your AC power should be working for you. That would be the outlets, TV, microwave.

The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage should charge the battery. I would get a volt meter and go to the battery and take a voltage reading, when you are plugged in it should not drop below 11.5 volts it should maintain around 12.8 volts no matter what you are turning on. IF that is not happening then it sounds like the converter is the problem. Sometimes on the charge line from the converter to the battery you will have a thermal breaker, when it heats up it breaks contact, the lights would dim, when it cools off the lights will get bright. They are normally 18" from the battery and sometimes they can be exposed to the elements and get corroded. SO I would check to see if you have any, they are about 4 dollars each to replace and most auto parts stores....... I AM STILL TYPING A RESPONSE.

Ok. I'm writing your answer down.

Most auto parts stores have them and if you find any they will have an amp rating on the side of them, below is a picture of what they look like.

The adapters can also cause problems and that would apply if you are also losing the AC power, if the microwave clock was also going off with the lights, then it would be a supply issue with the incoming power.

The power converter is also suspect, it will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone style will be about the size of the shoe box and could be in several areas, under the fridge, stove, behind the breaker panel etc, sometimes they are outside near the batteries. You might hear the fan come on as well when more load is applied.

Below is a picture of the breaker you may find between the converter and battery.

IF you still have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for assisting you today. You can still follow up if needed at anytime. I respond WHEN I can.....

Robert

Breaker.

Excellent. I will try this tomorrow. It is getting dark here. Thank you so much. I will request you again. Thanks, Robert.

No problem at all, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

You can still follow up if needed... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I did rate you and gave you 5 stars. We are going to try and fix the problem this Saturday. Thank you again. Lura