RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The 12 volt system is not working. I have just checked the…

The 12 volt system...

The 12 volt system is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just checked the condition of the battery. It is fully charged and functional.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No. This is a new Winnebago trailer. The 12 volt power system is not working.

10/20/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Go ahead

Are you plugged into shore power or not? Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing or can you get one? About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Make and model of your load center where all the fuses and breakers are would be helpful here.

I am completely clueless when it comes to electronics and am new to the RV world. I don't have the meter and would not know how to use it if I did.

Pick one up and I can direct you in some testing. I would suggest a phone chat option. Only $9 more and no limit on time. Just a suggestion.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Not going to work. I was hoping there was something simple I could try. Guess I'll have to load up and take the trailer in for service. Thanks for your help.

It probably is and we can check a few easy things and find out. If you are going to have an RV it would be a good idea to have a general idea of how to check a few things. It would save you a bunch of money rather than going to the shop and having to wait for weeks to get an appointment. let me know if you change your mind. And you are most welcome!