RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My generator is not charging my house batteries. All the

electronics work i.e. TV, A/C...
My generator is not charging my house batteries. All the electronics work i.e. TV, A/C, Microwave and 110 outlets. Ran generator for extended period (5-7 hours) for two days in desert. Noticed that on the drive home, the house batteries were re-charged during drive home.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Freon? check the freon regarding battery issues?
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2002 Itasca. 32ft. C class.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the fuses, and breaker on generator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
10/18/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the make and model of your generator? How old are the house batteries? If 3 years old or more there is a good chance that they may be failing. They should be load tested to be sure they are viable. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. If you remove them for testing, be sure to take a photo of the cables so you get them back in the same way. When you respond, please let me know the make and model of your converter or inverter/charger. That way I can give you the correct instructions for checking it and the charge DC volts output. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The generator is a 4 Kw Onan Gas - Microlite. The house batteries are 5-6 years old. They did re-charge while driving home from desert, about***** 45amp converter/charger - don't know the make.

The batteries are probably failing...........have them load tested and report back. We can test the charging circuit.

Just checking back to see if you were able to get the batteries load tested?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had the batteries tested today. They wouldn’t take
A charge, and were defective. Thank you

Kind of thought so. Thanks for letting me know. And you are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification