RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Having problems charging. I have a 1999 Southwind 35s. While…

Customer Question
Having problems charging. I...

Having problems charging. I have a 1999 Southwind 35s. While engine is running i get NO charge to House Batteries. While plugged into shore OR Gen, i get NO charge on House batteries. I have replaced the Solenoid in the BCC with no Luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I have tested that batteries. No signs of charging

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 RV?

Fleetwood Southwind 35s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

INstalled a New Solenoid in the BCC

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
10/8/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Some older models didn't have the ability to charge the house batteries from the factory with the engine running. And does this have a 30 amp power cord and standard converter? If so, what is the make and model? Most of these were Magnetek units. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further here. It would be helpful if you have a small digital multimeter for some testing. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35s. It does have the capabilities to charge House Batteries from Alternator and from Shore/Gen. I have tested and tested everything and know for sure it's not charging.

That that did have what is called a "BIRD" device OR a battery isolator. You may have the latter. What is the make and model of your load center IF you have a standard converter which most of these had. IF you have an inverter/charger then the make and model of that unit.

I​f you have an isolator, what was the DC voltage coming OUT of that to the house batteries?

I have the BCC Model F73-1020. The convertor is putting out 13.6v but there is an interruption after leaving the Convertor. I have switched out the solenoid in the BCC and that didn't help. Something is blocking the charge from getting to the batteries.It's coming out we're 11.8I can push my Auxillary Start button and it WILL charge from alternator.

I still don't know the make and model of your charging system.........

Intel power PD9155

Check the power in and out of all the shortstop breakers in the BCC. It may have one that is tripped. This is a common problem. See the attached photo link so you know what you are looking for. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010562883211&selectedIndex=0

They are good. Question tho. Would or could those or anything in the BCC stop it from charging off the shore power

Usually a bad or tripped shortstop breaker. Check this with your meter. If the converter is putting out the right voltage which it is according to what you told me earlier then it has to be up there someplace.

I am going to have to leave here for a bit. I will check back in later this afternoon.