RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Keep getting random E1 error code. sometimes it goes away if…

Customer Question
Keep getting random E1...

Keep getting random E1 error code. sometimes it goes away if I turn off system and turn back on sometimes not. I have 2 units and it's sporadic on both units.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

NO

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2013 Newmar Canyon Star

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not done anything yet. Just bought it used in April. had same problem in summer with A/C mode but then it went away and worked fine until I switched to Heat pump mode the other night

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

ok Randall

A​n "E-1" error code is a communication fault and is usually the result of a bad or dirty cable connection between the thermostat and the A/C unit or between two A/C units. You can try unplugging them where they terminate and spraying both the socket and the RJ-11 cable end with some electrical contact cleaner and re-inserting them back into the socket again. Then try a reset on the thermostat and see if that corrects this. If not, it can be the thermostat itself. Hope that gives you a direction to go here. Please get back to me if you need more or we need to dig deeper into this. Model number of the A/C or Heat Pump units would be helpful then. All follow ups are included in our one time fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

How do I get to these connections?

The cable is either plugged into a control box underneath the bottom of the A/C where you have a central return air grill OR you access it from up on top of the unit when you remove the A/C cover. It depends on the model and the style of the installation. If you are not comfortable with getting up on the roof (if you have that style) you might want to contact a mobile tech in your area and have him come and assist here. Just takes a few minutes.

I don't have a problem with getting on the roof. It's raining here now so I'll have to deal with it later. I was cleaning the coils yesterday and noticed there is a metal cover over the control board. I did not remove it to look. I was able to turn on the fans using thermostat. Zone 1 seems to be working fine just zone 2 A/C Heatpump gets the code. It starts up in the beginning but then shuts down with the E1 code. It seems to me it's communicating initially but then loses it.

It can be the cable and in some cases the board has a bad relay or solder joint. If cleaning the cable doesn't fix the problem if may need a new board. If you do that, just be sure that the dip switch settings are done the same way. If they aren't set correctly the unit won't recognize that function.

I think I can send pictures to you so when I get to that point I will show you what I have. Won't be able to do it today unfortunately. You'll be around right?

Yes. I am here every day.

I think those cable connections are up above on the control board inside. There should be a cable from the thermostat to the Zone 1 unit and then one from that one to the Zone 2 unit. Do both ends of that cable.

this cable looks like a phone or ether net cable?

Looks like a phone cable. Called and RJ-11 cable.

I'm itching to get up there and check this out! Tomorrow is a holiday so hopefully I can get up there to see.

That is always a good idea.

I knew that LOL!

10-4

J​ust checking back in to see how this worked out?

It was raining yesterday last time we talked so I haven't been able to proceed. I m at work now but will check it out when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for checking in.

O.K........you are welcome!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification