RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

To the camper scene. I just purchased a 2009 Sunset Creek…

Customer Question
I am NEW to...

I am NEW to the camper scene. I just purchased a 2009 Sunset Creek Model 307RL unit. Unfortunately the seller did not have an owners manual. I got a whirlwind tour of the unit prior to delivery but now I have it on a sight and am totally confused as to how to set up and operate any of the plumbing system. With winter coming draining and winterizing is also going to be an issue. Is there a manual available?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2009 - Sunset Creek - Model 307RL

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 RV?

Title says 307RL. Another document says 30RL so I am not sure which is correct.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just set it on the sight and want to make sure I have everything opened and ready before I turn on the pump or water heater, Then a step-by-step to shut it down for winterizing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

It was inspected at the dealer and run before they delivered it yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really but I have to leave for a doctor appointment and will be away from my computer for a couple hours.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
10/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

S​o you want to have a step by step winterizing description here? Each unit is somewhat different, so I don't know that there is a "one size fits all" kind of description out there. I can give you the actual instruction here though. Are you going to use RV antifreeze or just drain it?

Probably purchase RV Antifreeze. Will 2 gallons be sufficient?

It usually is if you have both a bypass on the rear of the water heater and a winterizing valve by the pump so you can pump it right out of the jug. Do you have both of those items? If not, they can be installed.

I think I have them as the fellow that showed everything to me in about a half hour talked about pumping from the jug.

The bypass valve(s) are on the rear of the water heater in most cases. You turn those to the winterizing position after you turn the water heater off and allow it to cool. Then open up a tap and allow the pressure to drain off and then you can open up the check valve on the water heater to allow the pressure to come out before you drain it. Do that and put the drain plug back in again. Drain any low point drains and close again. Make sure that the AC power source for the water heater is off and stays off until you fill it again next season. Turn all the taps off and hook up the jug and turn the winterizing valve to that position and you are ready to charge the system. Turn the pump on and then open one tap at a time until you see the pink of the fluid and close. Do them all. Don't forget the outside shower and the toilet. Splash some into all the sink and shower drains. Turn off the pump and reset the winterizing valve. That is it except for the tanks all being drained and flushed and lastly disconnecting the batteries. Be sure that they are fully charged or remove them to a warmer location. Be sure all the vents on the roof are closed and not cracked. Insert some foam pipe insulation in the fridge vents to keep out bugs. If you have an icemaker be sure you drain it as well so it doesn't freeze. That is pretty much how this is done. I will add a phone chat offer for you in case you want to do this again as you do it over the phone. Optional of course. All follow ups are included in our fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!