RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just put in two new house batteries and main battery.

Customer Question
Just put in two...

Just put in two new house batteries and main battery. Problem is there are no internal lights or other electrical functions working except when plugged into shore power. Any suggestions: fuse, transfer switch? When it plugs in I hear the transfer switch thump like normal. Oh, it's a 2014 Thor Outlaw

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Class A

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 RV?

Thor Class A Outlaw 2014 - It's not "noise" it's the normal sound the transfer switch always makes, there's another switch in the same bay that also makes the normal sound after a slight delay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I replaced the batteries and am planning to check all fuses tomorrow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The unit was not winterized and we had a very harsh winter, temps in the teens. Just now trying to get things ready for a trip next week.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
10/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO it sounds like to me everything is working fine when you plug into power? The AC and DC power is working???

The AC power would be the microwave, TV'S and outlets, the roof AC, fridge need both AC and DC power to work.

The DC power would be the lights, furnace, water pump etc.

SO if you have NO DC power unplugged go to the battery and follow the large cables and make sure you do not have a breaker that is tripped, below is a picture, as a general rule it would be 18" from the frame. Most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground.

The other problem could be if you have a battery disconnect problem. Many RV'S will have a switch inside to isolate the DC power or a manual switch near the battery. IF you have an interior switch then you will have a solenoid. When you hit the switch sometimes you can hear the solenoid click each time the solenoid is pressed. If you have that interior disconnect go to the solenoid and check for voltage on the LARGE posts across from each other on the solenoid, if you only have voltage on one side get an insulated wire and jump the LARGE posts and see if your power comes on. Sometimes the solenoid can stick.

Beyond that when you are plugged into power the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery, when you unplug the converter switches to battery power.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can, I do work during the day as a RV tech....

Robert

Breaker.

IF you had an interior switch it would be near the entry door could be near the step switch or in a cabinet above the entry step or on the monitor panel, an interior switch will trigger a solenoid. Below is a picture of the solenoid, you have one for the aux boost switch on the dash, I saw the fuse for that one. Look near the battery and see if you have more then one solenoid.

IF you had a manual disconnect it would be a large dial near the battery.

Solenoid

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert