RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2018 Salem 27rei, my problem is that the

Customer Question
I have a 2018 Salem...
I have a 2018 Salem 27rei, my problem is that the refrigerator does not run off the inverter. I was told that this is a common problem with this model and want to know how I can fix this as I can not get it in the shop till the end of the month and would like it to work when we use it next weekend. Can you help me?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
10/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

W​hat is the make and model of your fridge and the make and model of your inverter? Get back to me with this and I can assist you further here.

I do not see what that matters, in is a residential refrigerator and it is in the slide out. The tv outlet and the refrigerator outlet are suppose to be wired that they will run on the inverter when not plugged into shore power. The tv is but the refrigerator shuts off. Forest river says that there is a wiring problem and a dealer will fix it, problem is I can not get an appointment till the end of October and I would like to get it fixed by next week end. Is this just wire swapping in the panel box or what? I do hear that this is a common problem with the salem’s. Any ideals?

I​f the inverter shuts down it is usually due to there not being enough amperage available for the draw of the system being used. That is a safety feature. If you are going to run a domestic fridge off an inverter you either need some large batteries or some solar panels or both. These systems draw a lot of amperage when you combine this with other uses and have no AC input for the batteries. You can't take out more than is going back in very long. Hope that explains that. Always good practice here to find out exactly what the customer has in the way of equipment. We don't like the general statements that have to be made. Sometimes one or more are troublesome for one reason or another. Please get back to me if you need more. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

The inverter does not shut down. I plug it into the other outlet at the tv and the refrigerator runs on the inverter. And yes I have solar panels. The refrigerator has been running now for 6 days while plugged into the tv outlet with no problem. I was told that this is a problem on all these salem’s. So my question is how do I make the outlet at the refrigerator to run off the inverter which is working fine

That sounds like a wiring issue then on that circuit. Did you check and see what the actual AC voltage was at the plug under a load? I would do that. It might be in the outlet itself or in the service breaker for that circuit. It might be the breaker on the inverter for that circuit. A small digital multimeter is not expensive and easy to use. Let me know what you find or get back to me if you need some help with the testing.

checked all that. Like I said the out is only wired to shore power and not the inverter. The inverter is putting out 119 volts.

So that outlet isn't working through the inverter at all? So if I understand you correctly, it was never wired up to work off the inverter without shore power.

If that is the issue then some rewiring can be done to correct that.

that is correct

So the fridge circuit has to be rewired so that it is taken off the main load center and feeds out of one of the inverter circuits. How far is it between those two units?

I would say 4’ from the inverter to the breaker box. And 4’ from the breaker box to the refrigerator outlet

It just has to be rewired from the load center (breaker box) to the inverter. That may or may not be easy depending on the location. Is there a fairly easy route for that? It needs to be a piece of 12-2 Romex cable.

does it still go through the existing breaker and 110 volt power or do I have to eliminate the 110 breaker.

It has to be removed from the existing breaker and a J-box installed there and a new lead that goes over to the inverter and feed off one or the other circuits there. You pick the one that has the least load on it. You can add another J-box there if you can't easily and safely add both circuits at the inverter.

What is the j box you are referring to.

That is one you have to add here. Junction box. Available at most hardware stores.

Oh ok. So can the white wire stay on the bus bar or must it be hooked up to the inverter direct.

Both leads go over to the inverter. That is the reason for the 12-2 Romex cable.

Ok I will try that.
Is there an easy way to run the wires with out cutting up the belly covering

I​ can't say. You need to look for the easiest route between those two locations.