RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2000 coach Mirada motorhome on a ford f53 frame. I…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 coach Mirada motorhome on a ford f53 frame. I try to start the motorhome from the chassis battery. the starter relay clicks (already changed that), and the relay solenoid between the house and chassis battery clicks (just changed it too). if you hook up the house battery and turn the key to on,not start, the motorhome starts I'm pretty sure the starter is staying engaged when it starts that way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes. both batteries are showing +- 12 volts with a meter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Ford?

Its a 2000 f53 ford motorhome frame

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the voltage, jumped starter solenoid and it started. I changed the relay starter solenoid and didn't fix it. I then ran into the problem of it starting when the house battery was hooked up so I thought the relay between the two batteries was shot so I changed it. still doing the same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
10/6/2017
RV Mechanic: HDGene, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
HDGene
HDGene, RV Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, how old is the chassis battery? Will it pass a load test? It may hvae 12 volts as a surface charge but what does it read under a load? So it cranks over ok when the auxilary battery is added to the circuit? You say the starter wont stop cranking over the engine when it does crank? the engine starts and runs ok?

I’ll have to check the load on the battery. I wouldn’t think the battery would be bad. It is less than a year old. With the auxiliary battery hooked up, all you have to do is turn the key to the on position, not even trying to crank it and it starts. That’s why I think the starter is staying engaged. Oh and you don’t have to hit the emergency start switch either. Got me stumped. Oh and if you bridge the starter solenoid (like if it was bad and you wanted to start the vehicle) it starts right up with the main battery so that prob rules out the battery. I checked the voltage going to the solenoid and there’s no power going to the wire that closes the solenoid when you turn the key to the start position

A motor home doenst get used on a regular basis. Have the batteries load tested to make sure they have enough amperage to start the vehicle. m not sure what you mean by saying the starter is staying engaged. Do you mean the starter is cranking the engine over after it starts and is making noise?

Do you need more help or information with this concern?

sorry Gene, i've been busy on other things. i haven't had a chance to test it. it will probably be monday before i can get back to you. I'm wondering if this may be a key switch issue, due to the solenoid hot wire not getting any power to it when the switch is turned to "start". Then with the key in the "on" position, and you touch the two terminals on opposite sides of the solenoid relay, it starts right up. This is all without the Aux. battery even being hooked up.

Which switch are you talking about, the ignition switch or a cut off switch for the house/aux battery? I dont quite follow you

oh concerning the starter staying engaged, if the key switch is moved to the "on" position it shouldn't start, just when you move it to the "start'" position. so if the "on" position engages the starter then the starter would stay engaged until you turn the switch to "off". Right? Could that be a switch problem too? We had just started it and ran it for an hour, two days before this happened. No problems. Now this.

Yes, if the ignition switch is sending a voltage to close the solenoid, then it would go back to the ignition switch sticking if the starter is engaged and grinding while the engine is running. If there is no ignition input to the solenoid and it is staying closed, its a solenoid. if the solenoid isnt stuck on then its the starter, you have to test to see if the ignition switch is sending voltage to the starter or if the solenoid is stuck. you can disconnect the starter ignition switch feed to keep it from tearing up the starer and flywheel for testing purposes.

If you need more help or information for this concern please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, RV Mechanic