RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have no power when connected to external source, but I…

Customer Question
I have no...

I have no power when connected to external source, but I have power when connected to generator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Last time I used the camper, the TV and A/C would turn off and we would loose power, then after a few seconds, it would come back on. It did this about 4 times in one day.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2005 Lexington Class c it won’t accept external at all now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses including the ones at the main batteries they are good, then I plugged into power at an RV campground.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The main power cord was changed by an on call last year for the same reason

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
10/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Are you sure that the external source has power? If so, then you may have a bad automatic transfer switch. We can test that if you can come up with a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing to track this down. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

May I continue this tomorrow. The RV is now in storage

Super! I will watchh for your post.

Good Morning Randall.
I used a meter and checked for power at the shore cord and I tightened one the wires that was Not properly secured.
Now I have power but when I turn on the A/C and 1 TV, the power dropped after a few minutes , (the breaker in my house panel tripped ).
If I run the microwave and 2 T/V sets the power stays on.
I forgot to state that the loose wire was in the ATS.

A​re you using any kind of adapter on the shore cord? If so, are you plugged into a standard GFCI outlet at your house?

using an adapter which plugs into my house outlet.
The breaker which tripped is a 15 amp breaker...not GFI.
While at ANY campground, this has been an on going issue...A/C turns off for a few minutes, then comes back on, without having to re-set any breakers.

You can't really run an A/C on a 15 amp rated outlet. On a hot day it can pull about 20 amps all by itself. With the other uses that are in play this is just too much load on that circuit. You need to upgrade the house outlet to a dedicated RV plug and appropriate sized breaker. If you continue to use this one it can damage the A/C and that can get expensive.

That was only for making sure that the external power worked again.
I just took the RV to a campground and plugged it in...ran the A/C and it shut down after 5 Min.
The same problem I’ve been having all along....could it be the ATU?...

Did you mean the ATS? We can check some things if you have a small digital multimeter. It might be low voltage through the switch or a problem at the breaker for the A/C. We need to know that there is good AC voltage up at the unit. Then we can go from there if needed. All follow ups are included in our fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!