RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Is it possible to install a Dometic RV Awning (9000 Series…

Customer Question
Hi - is it...

Hi - is it possible to install a Dometic RV Awning (9000 Series power awning) at a residential house? I presume that the power is 12 v for the RV awning and the house has 110v. Can I use an AC/DC adaptor?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

I have not purchased it. I am looking at a Dometic 9500 motorized awning.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 RV?

I want to install the awning at a residential house. Can you use this kind of awning at a house? If so, do I need a power converter from 110v to 12 v ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything. I am just trying to find out if it can be done. I can have an electrician to install it. I just need to know if I need an AC/DC adaptor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - just to find out if this can be done and if I need an adaptor.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
10/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

You can, but the power source has to be capable of running that motor and that would need to be either a fair sized transformer or go ahead and use a battery and converter. Then that would work. Do you have a place that you can have that close by?

there is room on the patio for a transformer? I am just finding out what is needed to complete the install. Would you know what size of transformer would be needed?
I just need the size of transformer / adaptor needed
can you provide some details as to the size of transformer needed?

Sorry for the delay........busy this morning.

You would need to know the amps rating of that motor. I can probably get that but it will take a phone call or two.

thanks for now. I know it is possible to install the awning, it is just a matter of getting the right adaptor. Thanks

It is, but it has to be able to deliver the needed amps for that motor. That is going to be a fairly large transformer. A battery and converter may work better here. I will find out the amp draw on that and get back to you later.

It has to be capable of delivering 12 VDC at 6 amps. Hope that helps.