RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just got a new battery but it is not powering the trailer.

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a new battery but it is not powering the trailer. Do I need new fuses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery is brand new, the problem lies elsewhere

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2013 jayco swift 184bh

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Swift yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried replacing the battery and that's about it. All the electrical items work fine on shore power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

This is a result of a tripped shortstop breaker in many cases. Check that first. Follow the red battery lead right to them. I am attaching a photo link so you can see what you are looking for. For manual reset versions there is a small black button in the end that you push back in to reset it. If you have a small digital multimeter this is not too hard to check and get to the cause. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in that. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010549251637&selectedIndex=0

In some cases they put these out of sight and up underneath to keep them dry and you have to remove a small panel to access them. By code they have to be within 18" of the batteries.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!