RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood G10-3E water heater and when I flip the…

Customer Question
I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood G10-3E water heater and when I flip the electronic ignition switch it lights but only runs for about 5 minutes before shutting itself off with ignition failure indicator. Attempts to relight will run for a 5-10 seconds and then shutoff with failure. If it sits for several hours I can get it to run again for 5 minutes. It appears that the gas supply is just shutting off after a short runtime. I put a new circuit board in it but it has not resolved the problem. Ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

I don't have a code or scan tools

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the RV Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '10 RV?

MY RV is a Fleetwood Discovery 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried changing the circuit board It lights fine just won't stay running I don;t think its the thermostat as it indicates an ignition failure on my control panel vs. shutting off for temp

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
10/2/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That is usually a sign of a bad thermostat and ECO. Not expensive and easy to replace. About $10 and a few minutes labor. When I can get to my computer I can get you a Service Manual and give you more instruction on this if you want to do it yourself. All follow ups are included in our fee.

A bad thermostat would still cause the ignition failure indicator light to come on when it shuts off? I guess that's what made me think if might be gas valve or something, but the thermostat would be the easiest and least expensive to change.

That would be the first thing to check. A bad gas valve won't allow it to even fire up.

That part number is ***** for the set.

OK I will try replacing the thermostat and ECO.

Put a jumper in there first and try it if you want to rule that out.

Would I jump the thermostat or the ECO or both?

Both. Those are sold as a set. If it runs for at least 15 minutes and then restarts again that is pretty conclusive.

OK will try that first.

10-4

I replaced the ECO and Thermostat and I still have the same symptoms. About 5 min of run time then if shuts off, attempts relight 2-3 times with a few seconds run each time then goes into failed ignition status. I tried jumping the ECO and thermostat before replacing and it ran about 10 min before I shutoff so thought that would be the solution replacing but apparently not.

Did you check the incoming DC voltage?

No haven't checked voltage. What is norm range?

It has to remain over 11 VDC. If you are dry camping this can run down the batteries and it might go off and do this. If you aren't dry camping then we might look for another issue.

I am always either hooked up to Power or running genset so shouldn't be battery drain

Have you flushed out the tank recently? Sometimes if there is a lot of lime buildup in the tank it can cause hot spots. And you put a new board in already? Did you check the LP pressure at the tank regulator or not?

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification