RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The fridge light quit working...at first if was blowing

Customer Question
The fridge light quit...

The fridge light quit working...at first if was blowing bulbs and would last for a while and now even a new bulb won't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The one that lights up the fridge from the inside

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2014 Forest River Rockwood

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just tried changing the bulbs as that seemed to work in the past

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The rest of the fridge and freezer are working great

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
10/2/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

W​hat is the make and model of your fridge?

its a dometic...I am not there-I am at work...pretty standard small rv fridge. the light unit is just inside the fridge on the right wall of the fridge. it has a plastic sheath over the light. the light bulb is about a 2 inch or smaller oblong in shape with pointy metal ends that fit in holes in metal that make the connection.
are you still there?

If you can get back to me later with this it would help. This is a pretty rare thing.

Was watching the news about the Las Vegas shooting..........

I guess I don't understand. you started the conversation and now want to end it?

B​ulbs that are blowing is usually due to too much voltage for the rating of the bulb. That can be from a converter that is putting out too much voltage OR it might be due to some defective parts. I can call Dometic and find out if this has been reported on this model before. No time limit on follow ups so if you can get me a model number later that would help.

We work on more than one question at a time here. It takes time to respond and type a response.

ok, I read it could just be a fuse.

Doubtful. Fuses blow instead of bulbs. That is the point of having one.

Unless the bulbs are actually fine........testing them with a small digital multimeter would tell you that.

well it seem odd that this would start after 4 years of working well
I have no idea what that is...perhaps I should have just called an rv mechanic to come to my rig. I feel like I didn't get much in return for $29 dollars.

Nothing works well forever.............things break. Once I know the model number I can give Dometic a call and see if this is something that has been reported and what is causing it. Testing would tell you that as well.

I can assure you that calling a mobile tech is way more than $29. If you want more information it really helps to give the make and model to the person trying to help. I will go ahead and opt out of this question and allow another tech to offer something if they can.

these are brand new bulbs. I will try to get the model number in a week or so. The add is very misleading and only asks for $5 dollars...I would not have done this for 29.
please stop sending the text.
gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic