RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Front electric motor for jacks does not work. It's a

Customer Question
Front electric motor for...

Front electric motor for jacks does not work

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

It's a Keystone Raptor 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
10/2/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​his may be due to a blown fuse on that lead into the motor or a shortstop breaker that is tripped. It may be a bad switch or worst case the motor is toast. If you have a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter this is pretty easy to test for a resolve. Those are about $5 and $20 or so at most hardware stores if you don't have one and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. I am adding a photo link of a shortstop breaker. They use these instead of fuses on many motor circuits. May be more than one and may have red covers over them. If they are the manual reset versions they will have a small black button on the end with the copper post that you push in to reset it. Can be hard to see due to the wiring being in the way. Let me know what you find and when you are ready to test and we can sort this out. All follow ups and exchanges between us are covered and included in our one time fee. No time limit. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010549251637&selectedIndex=0

The solenoid is still clicking which make me believe it is the motor

It may be. If you have a meter this can be checked. Disconnect one of the motor leads and see if that stops. Clicking is usually from an autobreaker and not a manual shortstop breaker.

M​otors are available and if I know whose leveling legs you have I can give you an idea of cost and perhaps a part number.

Where would I find the info on the leveling legs
The motor controls both jacks on the front at the same time

Most motors have a label on them that identifies whose product they are. Or attach a photo of that to your post and I can probably tell. That is how most of these are constructed. I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!