RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1996 E350 ,460,7.5 30ft camper. Truck sat for 3…

Customer Question
Hi !, I have...

Hi !, I have a 1996 E350 ,460,7.5 30ft camper . Truck sat for 3 years with a bad tranny but I just had it rebuilt to get the coach back on the road. The first time I drove it it had a severe surge/stumble in the engine. It happens at idle and under power. I replaced plugs,rotor,wires ,MAP sensor,cleaned idle air motor, and there fuel pressure regulator. Ive ordered a lcv valve as well. The stumble is still there but seems a little better but definitely not gone. Ive ordered a new idle air motor just so I know its good as even though I cleaned the one i have I could get the spring/diapgram to move freely or to function as I think its supposed to. I moved it very carefully with a small screwdriver.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

No I haven't. I don't know how to check that. Is it done with a fuel pressure gauge?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im doing all I can myself . Ive got 20k into the coach which Im ok with . I enjoy working on it and learning as I go

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I havent checked any fuel filters and have filled it up with gas so Im sure the gas is not old. Ive driven it over 150 miles as well which tells me the fuel is good too.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
10/2/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Make sure you have good fuel in the fuel tank.If you have bad fuel in the tank this can cause this issue and would need drained and refilled.If this is o.k. this may be a fault with a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or an issue with a weak fuel pump needing replaced.I would have the fuel pressure tested and fuel filter replaced to see if the issue is repaired or found.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

thanks Pete, changing fuel filter(s) seems the best place to start as it easiest and cheapest. Can crawl around and find it/ them but can u tell me where and how many the 460 has ?. Next would be the fuel pump as its electric / in line probably yes?. If i have to drain the tank i would probably take the thing for a couple hour drive and burn it out instead of draining it. maybe even run it iut and keep 10gallons of gas with me..... would probably have to change filters then again too ...
does it make any sense to check pressure innthe fuel rail before changing the pump if the new filters dont do it?

I believe only one and it will be under the vehicle near the fuel tank or on the frame rail leading from the fuel tank in line with the fuel feed line itself.

The pump should be electric.My info isnt showing where it is for sure but most are in the fuel tank with the tank needing lowered out to access it.I would inspect the fuel feed line from the tank to the engine and you should find the fuel filter and if there is an external electrical fuel pump you would see it as well.

If the new filter does not work then run the tank near empty first and add new fuel again and run it several miles and see if it clears up.If it does not replace the filter again and if it still acts up then the pump needs replaced.

The pressure should be tested first yes.YOur fuel pressure should be between 28 and 45 psi with the engine running and between 35 and 45 psi with the key on and engine off.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician