RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Does this cost $ 2014 rpod model 178. Rpod 178. So I'm

Customer Question
Does this cost $ ...

Does this cost $

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2014 rpod model 178

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 RV?

Rpod 178

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

So I'm getting our trailer ready for some trips. The a/c has problems. I turned it on and all I got was a humming. I turned it off, went on the roof and took off the a/c top and all looked normal. So I turned the a/c on again and and got the humming again so I gave the fan shaft a little turn and it started and it seemed to run normal. Left it run for a while and the 20 amp breaker tripped. I should add the blower fan acted the same way when just the fan was running. Could this be a capacitor problem? There are two capacitors, a smaller black one (red and white wire) and a larger shiney one (3 posts: 1 orange 2 red and 3 white wires).

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

All the fuses are good and I took a pic of the wiring diagram

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Yes, it does. I show this is a $37 question. That fee covers as many exchanges as it takes to arrive at a solution.

ok
no calls

That may be a combination of things. Low input AC voltage, a dry fan shaft or some debris on the fan blade from sitting idle for a long period of time or a capacitor that might be failing. A new hard start kit might help and check the incoming AC voltage with a small digital multimeter and see if that is adding to the problem. Turn off the water heater on AC mode and any other heavy AC uses. No microwave when the A/C is on. No adapters on the cord. No extension cords unless they are RV cords. Those are things that would and should be addressed here. Please let me know what you find and we can go from there. If you need more please include the make and model of your A/C. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

A phone chat is optional here..........

Only RV cords plugged into an RV 30 amp outlet. No debris in AC anywhere. I was able to get it running by giving the shaft a little turn but then after a short time it tripped the 20 amp on board breaker. This happened a couple of times where I could turn the fan shaft and get it running normally other times when I turned it on the blower seems to run so slowly that it moves any air. It is a dometic 13,500 BTU rooftop.

I would get some WD-40 and spray it around the shaft where it goes into the motor and spin it a few times and then do it again. Run it for a bit. Also get a hard start capacitor kit and install that. That will boost up the start voltage. If you get a small digital multimeter you can check the actual incoming AC voltage and see if it is low. It should be over 115 VAC to work well. Get back to me with the model number off this A/C and I can get you a part number.

Comes with good instructions. See the attached link for a good source and price. http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-duotherm-brisk-air-conditioner-motor-hard-start-kit-p-20207.html

I​ have to leave for a bit on a Service Call. Shouldn't be gone long. Will check back in later.

Ok i've gone out also

Back now..............get back to me if you need more.

Ok I'm going to try a few things tomorrow.

10-4