RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a dometic elite slide topper. while I was camping I…

Customer Question
I have a dometic...

I have a dometic elite slide topper. while I was camping I heard a loud bang. I thought it was a tree branch so I thought nothing of it. when I got home I went to slide the slide out I heard another noise. when I looked at the topper the ends were setting on the slide and the middle of the roller was bowed. I undid the brackets and got the slide out. the fabric was ripped so I bought a new one and installed to and remounted the brackets. when I tried to move the slide out the same thing happened. it has worked great for the last several years, so I don't know what has changed. I found instruction on how the reset the torsion caps on line. it said to roll the new fabric on the roller than set the torsion on the end caps. right side counterclockwise 13 turns, left side clockwise 13 turns. if you know what may have happened or if I need other parts, please let me know. any help would be appreciated. thanks, ***** *****, napa ca.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Automat 29F 1995. I belive that the topper has been on the trailer sisce than.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 RV?

Automate

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have replaced the fabric as it was ripped and remounted all the hardware, but it did the same thing. I don't know what changed.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
9/29/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Do you have the model number off the roller tube? I kind of doubt that parts are going to be available any longer if it is that old.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!