RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The lights get dim and TV flickers when AC comes on. All the…

Customer Question
The lights get dim...

The lights get dim and TV flickers when AC comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

All the lights that are on at the time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2009 Sprinter travel trailer. I bought it in 2011 and I have lived continuously in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am most concerned about fire risk. I do minor maintenance on the trailer and I like learning how to do things myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I can correct this issue or this is definitely something a professional should be handling. I have not had problems with AC....did replace the fan in June

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
9/29/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Two things that need to be checked when this happens. The battery(s) may be failing and not keepin a full charge or have an internal short OR the converter may be failing and not keeping them fully charged. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Just be sure you mark them well and take a photo of them so you can get them back the same way. If you have or can get a small digital multimeter we can easily and quickly check the charging and see if that is the problem. A meter is about $20 or so and easy to use. I can direct you in this. A good converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC to the batteries. Hope that points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our one time fee.