RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Dometic air conditioner compressor runs when the system…

Customer Question
My Dometic air conditioner...

My Dometic air conditioner compressor runs when the system is in auto. I have even pulled the fuse for the control power. When I turn on the breaker for the compressor it starts. Any ideas where I can start looking to fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No, why would the Freon level cause the compressor to start with no control power?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2006 Gulfstream BTCruiser. Ford E450 powerplant.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have ruled out the thermostat. I have started looking at the control board in the roof unit. It seems to me that something is "telling" the compressor to start. but after removing the control power I am at a loss as to what it could be. I was looking for a fried Motor Controller but decided to try here.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That is a sign that the contacts on the compressor relay are burned and sticking. The fix is to replace the control module. Some older styles are NLA and you may have to upgrade to a newer model. Get back to me with the part number off the control and I can tell you

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!