RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Atwood AFM series furnace Am having trouble with it…

Customer Question
I have a Atwood...

I have a Atwood AFM series furnace Am having trouble with it wanting to run after a rain. When it happens the repairman tells me it is the sails switch that is activating the unit ( sounds like a motor trying to start) Everytime it rains it starts acting up even with the unit turned off. So I pull the fuse . After the unit drys out I can replace the fuse and all is well. on the front plate I have noticed the air louvers are backwards, turned in so that when it rains the water just runs in I can send you a picture

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No How could this be caused by a fuse problem ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2915 Tracer Air

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tracer?

That's a 2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tracer yourself? What have you tried so far?

While on the road I have had 2 tech tell me its the sails switch and when they replaced it all was good until it rained then I learned to pull the fuse let is day out then all is good again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO tks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I have seen more then a few questions on this site for the same issue you are having with the AFM series not working after it rains. For some reason on this particular model the water is allowed to run inside the unit and ones I have dealt with the problem happens when the circuit board gets wet. I might try and find a way to protect the circuit board if possible, that could be wrapping it in a plastic bag that is water tight or making some type of drip rail on the outside access so the water does not run into the unit.

I really do not see how the sail switch is making the unit come on, as the motor comes up to speed it blows on the sail switch and once the sail switch closes then you will get spark and flame, the sail switch will pass voltage to the circuit board when it closes, to me it sounds more like the circuit board is the problem when it gets wet. The sail switch is a mechanical switch as it has a paddle on it and will only pass that current with the air pressure from the fan.

So I would try and protect the board and see what happens.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

Keeping it dry was what I was thinking but don't kn way the manufacturer would put the louvers backward

To me and working on this site and seeing all the problems with the AFM series it seems like a design flaw to me, you are not alone on this issue...

So I would try and stop the water from getting in OR protect the circuit board anyway you can from getting wet...

I do not think that Atwood has addressed this issue so owners are on there own.

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert