RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fan comes on but compressor wont start no noise not even a…

Customer Question
Fan comes on but...

Fan comes on but compressor wont start no noise not even a hum. Checked start cap everything checks good on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

This is a roof mount dometic, does it work off the battery? It is plugged into shore power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2014 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I checked the start run cap and it is reading right where it should, 60 plus or minus 5% and 5 on the fan

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I didn't know that the battery may be the culprit, because it's on shore power.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
9/27/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The controls are 12 VDC on these. Which thermostat and control box do you have?

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Randall, the 5th wheel camper isn't mine it's my friends all I know is the roof mount units are each 13,500 BTU. The front unit isn't controlled by the thermostat just the one in the rear is. The units are original Dometic. The battery is fully charged plus it's connected to shore power

Which one is acting up? The one with the thermostat or the mechanical ceiling controlled unit?

The one with the thermostat

Do you know which thermostat it has? Analog slide control or digital?

It's the digital thermostat you can adjust it pushing the buttons and it'll kick the fan on but it will not complete the cycle by kicking the compressor on to I could send you a picture of the thermostat but that's probably not going to help you any

4 or 5 button Comfort Control?

On the left side of the thermostat it's fan cool and furnace and then on the right side is just plus and minus for temperature up or down and on the very bottom is just on or off
In the center of the thermostat is the digital read out

About 4" square? That sounds like a Dometic Single Zone model. That sounds like a bad compressor relay on the control module. If you have a small digital multimeter we can test that. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. Not hard.

I have a multimeter a Klein I could probably check it is the control module underneath the thermostat cover the thermostat itself is round not Square
I'm still at work right now so I can't get over there to put the multimeter on it at this moment.

You would check this at the control module which is usually mounted on the bottom of the A/C underneath the air filter. Or up on top is this is a ducted unit on the control board. We can see if you have power into the relay and not out or perhaps the overload in the compressor is bad and we can test that as well.

Okay I'm not sure when I can get there to check it either later today or tomorrow

10-4

J​ust checking back in to see how this was going?