RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just got back from a motor home trip to the Eastern shore…

Customer Question
I just got back...

I just got back from a motor home trip to the Eastern shore of Virginia towing my 22 foot bay boat with my 2008 fleetwood Providence powered by a 360HP Cummings diesel. I was using the economy mode feature on my transmission Traveling up to the Eastern Shore. I switched back to regular mode as I was entering an inclined off ramp and accelerating up the ramp when my check engine light came on. I continued on my trip and stopped about 30 miles later and checked my coolant levels. My engine oil was about a quart low. so I added oil and continued on another 10 miles to a rest area. the Check engine light was still on when I Stopped. When I cranked up, the check engine light went off. I continued on to my destination with no further problems. That was last Wednesday. I hooked up to shore power. I attempted to leave Eastern Shore yesterday morning and the check engine light came on again My screen also said low coolant level. the engine cut off as I was retracting my Slides. I t also cutoff again as I started to leave campground as I placed my coach into drive. After that I began looking for assistance through Good Sam. After sitting for about ten minutes I cranked again and all Check engiine and stop engines lights had gone away. Afterwards I proceeded back to NC some 360 miles with no more engine warning lights coming on. What should I look for if this was a bad fault or misread by computer?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK Pearl Waiting on you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
9/26/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here if your coolant level was full and this warning came up with coolant level low the engine computer can cause the engine to shut down if it thinks there is or can be an over heat issue.Since the coolant was full most likely the coolant level sensor is intermittently acting up needing replaced.Most of these this sensor is located in the coolant reservoir tank or radiator.

The other issue is a fault in the engine computer itself.I have seen internal electrical faults in the engine computer cause issues like this here with it needing replaced.

I would have the engine wiring checked over leading to the coolant level sensor for any issues needing repaired.If this is all found to be o.k. then the coolant level sensor and computer will need to be tested further to see if any of these two components is at fault needing replaced.This is usually best done by a shop or dealer with the correct computer to check codes in your model which will help to pinpoint the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete