RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The Dometic refrigerator door latch failed in the 2010

Customer Question
Hi, the Dometic refrigerator...

Hi, the Dometic refrigerator door latch failed in the 2010 Airstream Sport (22 ft.) I rented and I'm afraid the owners are going to blame me. I shut the door like they showed me and i believe the latch mechanism, which is plastic failed while the trailer was in motion and the door fell off the two pins that serve as hinge points. Is this comment for this model /age refrigerator?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

It's a 2010 Airstream Sport 22 foot with the small Dometic single door refrigerator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 RV?

It's the Sport model, single axel, 22 foot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I was not able to fix myself. It happened while on a camping trip. I returned the unit to the owner, who has taken it to an Airstream dealership in Los Angeles. The door must have been swinging back and forth until the two pin holes that secure the door to the frame opened up and the whole door came off and was on the floor when I opened the trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The plastic latch mechanism was in pieces on the floor. Wondering if this is a common problem or design flaw.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What was the model number of the fridge or do you recall?

Side latch or top of the door latch?

I don't know the model number but the door latch was on the side. About midpoint of the door frame.

Woodgrain front or curved and stainless?

Wood grain

Then it was probably an RM2310 or similar. Those can break if there is a lot of weight in the door and it swings open with any force. Those latches are pretty secure though. How much are they charging you for the door?

We did put stuff in the door but I don't believe we overloaded. Stuff like condiments, packaged deli meats etc.
Don't know yet what they will charge. They are asking if we made sure we engaged the latch like they showed us. I think the latch was worn out when we first rented the trailer.

I​t might have been cracked already. They do get brittle over time.

J​ust checking back in to see what had been decided on this?

Nothing yet

O.K.