RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

On our last vacation my husband started raising our pop up…

Customer Question
On our last vacation...

On our last vacation my husband started raising our pop up camper and back end corner was not going up. I noticed it was still latched and yelled for him to stop. We unlatched then tried to raise it and it went most of the way up, short by about a foot. What do we need to do to fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I did not say anything about a noise. Maybe you are confusing me with another customer.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1980 Freedom Rockwood. I think it's a 2006 model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We lifted it at camp with my husband holding it up and propped up with the extra support pieces. We have done nothing so far.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
9/25/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the year, make and model of your popup camper?

1980 Rockwood Freedom/ 2009 year made
This is fine. I need to tell my husband how to do this.

It probably pulled a cable loose or perhaps bent something on the pulley system. When I can get to my computer here shortly, I can get you some information on that lift system. Give me about an hour or so.

I was supposed to be charge $5.00 for getting help. My credit card was charged $32. Please fix this. Thank you.

$​5 is the deposit. The total question value is $37. If that doesn't work for you let me know and I can submit it for a refund.

I let the company know I am going through about the payment, since you do not deal with that part.
okay, go ahead.
We want to know what's wrong and how to go about fixing it. thank you.

Let me get you some information and get back to you shortly...........

okay

One more thing. Does this have a power lift system or crank up lift?

It has power lift and crank up. It takes over an hour to crank it up though, so we have only doe that once.

O.K........let me get back to you shortly.

S​ee the attached video link. This is an earlier version, but the lift system is the same. http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/a233e1fccae64893a8fb9a1503f3564e

If your husband is handy with tools this might not be too bad, but they can be a challenge. I will see what else I can get on this for you.

I am unable to open the link you sent over. Will see if my husband can open it tonight so we can see it.

O.K...........let me know if that is a problem.

My husband said the link is probably not coming through because of authorization on your end.

Wrong link! Sorry about that........let me get to my computer and get you the correct one. Give me about 30 minutes or so.

okay

S​ee the attached video link. There are others there as well. Most of these lifts systems are used on other makes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFWKFwIBsU

Our camper has the cables underneath the camper. Someone told us a spring probably popped out of it. Each end has springs on the Rockwood. I wanted to know details of how to fix it. This camper has cable system inside the camper on this video and it is all connected as one piece.
The 4 corner posts have their own springs. I have already seen those videos and they are set up differently than the Rockwoods. My understanding from other Rockwood camper owners is that it is not all one piece like the ones that have the cabling system inside the trailer. I also understand we are supposed to work on in it in the closed position to fix it.
All the other kinds you have to work on it propped open.

There were a bunch of videos. Did you watch more than one? There are 4 or 5 lift systems in use here. Sometimes they changed them from year to year. I don't have exactly the procedure that may be for yours as I am not there to examine it and that makes it hard. There are dozens of makes and models of these and I don't recall all those I have worked on over the years, but there aren't that many in my area. You might have more success in contacting a dealer who sells these. I just don't know how much information they are willing to share with you. Popup Portal is a good site and you may find some blogs there by other owners that would be helpful.

okay. I got the info I have right now from others who have actually worked on their own Rockwoods through a fb group. I just wanted more details.
There was one Rockwood video but it was an older one it looked like. And he did not really say much about anything.

S​orry I don't have more on this. I can opt out and allow another tech to offer something if they have anything new.

If they have experience with working with the recent models of Rockwood popup lift system, that would be helpful. thanks.