RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2015 thor Tuscany kq-40 the front ac/heater was running

Customer Question
2015 thor Tuscany kq-40...

2015 thor Tuscany kq-40 the front ac/heater was running normally when all of a sudden a loud bang and then a vibration throughout the motorcoach. Unrelated I think the aft ac/heater until will not throw any heat ...?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No...it literally happened moments ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 RV?

Thor Tuscany 40KQ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
9/24/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Have any warning lights come on?

Is the engine running rough at all?

Is the vibration only occuring with the heater or ac on?

Let me know,thanks Pete

engine was not running I am parked at a campsite on shore power

O.k.,was this a roof top that was running then a bang and now a vibration with the roof top heater/ac on?

it is correct

O.k.,it sounds like either the ac compressor in the roof top unit has failed suddenly with it needing replaced or the blower fan motor has failed.Both of these will cause this bang and vibration when they fail.

You will need to have this looked into further to locate which one is the cause needing replaced.On some models the entire roof top unit has to be replaced as one piece unfortunately.But I do not recommend using this roof top unit until you can have it looked into and repaired to prevent any further damage or any shorting out issues/electrical issues.Most common is the blower fan itself usually.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

by why is the other unit not producing any heat at all? only cold air

It is most likely tied into the operation of the front unit and since the front unit has failed suddenly like you see occuring it is affecting the aft unit to act up as well.If the bang came from the front unit itself it does need to be inspected further to see if the blower fan or another component in it needs replaced.This has to be done to locate the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician