RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Onan Marquis gold 5500 Generator will crank, but no spark.

Customer Question
Onan Marquis gold 5500...

Onan Marquis gold 5500 Generator will crank, but no spark. Hour meter is no longer showing numbers either

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Marquis?

RV is a 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Though it was fuel. Disconnected fuel line and is getting fuel fine. Sprayed ether in carb n cranked...nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Filled yesterday with sea foam added. Had been a while since run, but got running fine n making power. Shut it off last night. Tried starting few hours later n nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did not smell gas around motor until opened air box

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 4 days by:
9/28/2017
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is Hank.

Are you still needing help with this?

If so, what is the full model number of the genset?

Hank. I paid my $29.99 on Saturday, when I really needed the help. It runs now, but I'm trying to figure out now why it wouldn't run Sat. My digital hour meter still doesn't work.

I was on vacation last week. I don't know why no one else picked up on any of these questions while I was gone - and I apologize for that.

I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings, but am sneaking in here at work just to play catch up.

I still need to know the model number of your genset.

Also, there are several different types or remotes. Does yours have a light in the start/stop switch that comes on when the genset is running? If so, is it coming on?

Model 5.5HGJAB-6755D spec DI do have the light and it does come on. The hour meter is in the remote.
Also, what is the proper adjustment for the spring that goes in the notched lever? I may have moved it when messing around, tho it starts fine right now

The spring doesn't have a set position. It is adjustable for a reason. The proper place for it goes hand in hand with the position of the tension nut above the spring.

The proper position is where the engine has minimal droop when a load is applied to the unit, but does not surge while under no load.

For the hour meter, check the wiring behind the plate, and make sure no wires have come loose.

IF not, go to the remote connector at the genset, and unplug it.

At the gen side of the plug, locate the wire labeled J2-E P1-19..

Start the genset, and test that wire for 12V.

Is 12V present?

Did you find the problem?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets