RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My driver side slide out won't retract. The motor runs, but…

Customer Question
My driver side slide...

My driver side slide out won't retract. The motor runs, but there is no clicking sound like it might be stuck. I could not get it to move with a wrench. I suspect that there is a disconnect between the gear motor and the rack's pinion.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It is the usual motor noise, nothing unusual except it won't retract. It just happened today.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2006 Sunseeker

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to manually retract it with a wrench in the storage compartment. It just makes gear sorts of noises

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

does it sound like a grinding noise??

when retracting ??

No, it is just the motor noise.
How much have I spent so far?
Wayne?

HI

It is 1 flat Fee that you set with JA,

follow are Free after a accept

between the motor and drive gear is a Fiber Gear

pull the motor off and see if that has broken/stripped

HI

Also be Patient with me I work with 4-7 customers at a time

I have to take as they come in

The motor is not exposed. I don't know how to get to it.

Hi

Do you see where the pump and reservoir are ??

I can only see the hex where you are supposed to manually crank it. It doesn't work. When I turn it,it just makes gear noises, no movement.
Oh, it is not hydraulic, it is electric motor driven.
Gear reducer with pinion and rack.

Hi

Thank you for that

this being said if you can not get to motor

that fiber gear Broke for the drive,

Sorry to say you will need a tech out

what is the make and model , Please

Forest River Sunseeker 28.6 2006.

HI

Not the RV but the slide Manufacture

Can't say. Where would this be? The manual was no help.

Hi Sorry for the delay

was called out ,it is mounted on the tag at the motor and housing

Morning Just following up with you did my answer help you ?? Please remember to rate my answer or the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time Wayne