RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Any bad electrical. Main cable short melt down you know

Customer Question
about...
Any bad electrical. Main cable short melt down you know about
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Not sure what your question is here?

we had a fire on our 1999 minnie winnie motorhome which appears to have been a short from the main batteries to the house batteries. my wife had went to sleep in the motorhome we connected the main battery to let the steps come down so my wife could get in motorhome no keys in ignition 3 hours later there is smoke coming from underhood then smoke coming from house batteries yelled at my wife to get out there is a fire in motorhome still cant firgure out what happened
no please type answer

So you are asking me what caused the fire? I have no way of knowing that. If you had a battery short out and get hot it might have due to the hydrogen gas being emitted. I have not heard of any fire issues like this except for those related to a fridge fire. If you connected the main battery up with the polarity backwards it would have created a direct short and then a fire might have started. Hard to tell at this point and from here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

shouldn't it have blown some sort of fuse

Not is one of those two things happened. This will take a fire investigator to figure out I suspect.